Saturday, May 17, 2008

You Can never step in the same China twice

This picture above was taken at the Yuxi museum of which every bone and fossil was discovered in the Yuxi prefecture (not made in the fossil factories of Sichuan, I think...).

These bones testify that thousands of years ago China was quite a different place from today! Yet, China continues to change at an exponential rate.

It was A Greek philosophy from the 6th century BC known as Heraclitus who said the famous words, "you cannot step in the same river twice." It was this notion that Heraclitus then formed as the essence of reality and the basis of the only truth one can know; it is that "the only thing that doesn't change is change itself". I have to disagree with his notion as a basis for truth, however, his argument holds a lot of weight in my own experiences in the past year. The China I stepped in in august 2007 is a far step away from the China I now am preparing to depart from...



Above is a picture taken in my very first week in China of the genesis of an apartment building, taken august of 2007.

Below is the building as of May 2008, this is one of five apartment buildings built in the same area.



Including the addition of enormous apartment complexes has been some other additions to Yuxi including a huge man made waterfall, which before I had come had not existed at all!




The waterfall connects to a decent sized park that flows into a man made lake at Ni Er square.






The picture below tells a somewhat of a more melancholy story... If you read my post earlier titled "Ni chi fan le ma?" you would remember a place right outside the gate of the school that held all my favorite places to eat; with "Chao er si" (specialty dish from Dali, fried noodle dish), and "la mian" (specialty pulled noodles from north China) to every kind of "chao fan" (fried rice). Within one week every restaurant was torn down and a temporary wall built in their place as bulldozers and dump trucks began escavating for what probably will be another apartment complex.







However, around the same time that these mom and pop restaurants were torn down a new light of hope came in the shape of golden arches!



Yes, Yuxi's first Mcdonalds! And as you can see below its open 24 hours!




Besides the many things that have changed in China over the past year, including many of which I have left out; China has also changed me. When I first came in august 2007 I struggled to say "ni hao" (hello), however, thanks to the thoughts of many people back home not only can I say "ni hao" but I can write it too!



Though I still have a long ways to go, I've come a long way because of your thoughts! I can officially speak broken Chinese! (By the way... These pictures were taken right before the teacher got a hold of the red chalk and made it bleed so much you would of thought I wrote the letter with red chalk rather than yellow!)

As I have noted before I have made the long move from the foreigner apartment building to the student dorms as of the Spring Semester!



Living in the dorms has been a great opportunity and a great experience. Not to mention having the best five roommates in the school, all Chinese majors. According to one girl I talked to at English corner, "The Chinese majors are the hottest." But, I will let you decide:





我是余国立,我来自中国西南的极边第一城腾冲。 腾冲因火山、热海和玉石而闻名于世, 希望以后你能到腾冲去看看, 那是个美丽的地方。 我是一名体育爱好者, 喜欢蓝球和足球,特别喜欢看你们那儿的NBA比赛。

I am Yu Guo Wei, I am from Southwest China the leading number one city of Tengchong. Because of volcanoes, Tengchong is world famous for its many hot springs and Jade; I hope one day you can come visit, it is certainly a beautiful place. I enjoy playing sports, such as basketball and soccer, I especially like watching the NBA.





我的名字叫马海涛,乃玉溪市澄江县人氏。我生于抚仙湖畔,自幼喜欢体育运动,特别是篮球和游泳。我的家乡是个美丽的地方,欢迎大家来旅游观光。

My name is Ma Hai Tao, I am a native Yuxi citizen from Chengjiang in the Yuxi Prefecture of Yunnan China. I was born at the banks of Fuxian Lake, since I was little I have enjoyed sports, especially basketball and swimming. My home town is a beautiful place, everybody is welcome to visit!



贾义军, 陕西榆林人也。那里曾是黄土高原上的上郡地区,有李自成行宫、 红碱 风景区,欢迎世界各地爱好旅游的朋友前来观光。本人爱好唐诗宋词,但尚无造诣,无论如何,我将勇往直前!

Gu Yi Jun, from Yulin city in Shanxi province. There is the "huangtu gaoyuan," the largest area of yellow soil in the world. It also has delicious plums, "chengjiang" and beautiful scenery. Welcome all my friends who enjoy traveling。I myself enjoy studying the poetry of the Tang and Song dynasty, but I still have not mastered them. In any case, I continue to march forward courageously towards learning more!




我是龚天祥,生于三国古城、楚文化的发源地湖北省荆州市,课余爱好写作,尤其喜爱古典诗词。无事时以写作为好,但今一至事无成。

I am Gong Tian Xiang, I am from the city of Jingzhou in China's HuBei province. After class I enjoy writting, especially ancient poetry. When I am not busy I am most happy witting, but if today accomplishes nothing one gets no where.



我就是崔娇龙,我的家乡是素有“北国春城”之美誉的吉林省长春市。我喜欢体育运动,尤其是足球。虽然场上技术一般,但是我守门还是不错的。没事情做的时候我就去足球场踢球。我爱足球!

I am just Cui Jiao Long, my home town is a simple town "a northern spring city" located in Gulin under governor Chun. I like to play sports, especially soccer. Although, my skills on the field are only so so, I'm not bad at goalie. When I have nothing to do I just go to the soccer field and kick the ball around. I love Soccer!

Well, its been a long time since I updated my blog! This very may well be my last update as I currently am preparing for my flight back in July 15th, only 18 days from the time I am writing this! Please keep me in your thoughts as I get back and duke it out with Jet Lag! I am looking forward to seeing you all again and catching up! Thanks again for keeping me in your thoughts over the course of this year!

No comments: